Saturday, October 24, 2009

USGP Louisville Day 1


Friday morning teammate, Alex Edwards, and I set off for Louisville, KY for the second round of the USGP series. After 8 hours of driving we were at our hotel and and quickly got changed to go ride.
Not really knowing where we were going riding we set off and after about 30 minutes stumbled (by accident) upon a mountain. After about 10 minutes of riding up hill we reached the top and were granted with a great view of Louisville and the surrounding area.
After getting back from the ride and eating we were quickly asleep.
The next morning we arrived at the race course to see very muddy conditions. Not very sure if this played to my advantage or not I was nervous for the race.
The Junior 17-18 field was a bit small, but contained the best Jr 17-18 riders in the US.
The race started, I was able to get the whole shot off the line and another rider and I were quickly away. We traded off for most of the 40 minute race until one of the very muddy, technical sections I bobbled a bit and he was able to get away from me and ride away for the win.
During the race I made the mistake of not pitting for my spare bike. My race bike was getting very caked with mud and was bogging me down quite a bit (the bike was about 5-10 lbs heavier due to the mud). In the end 3rd place was able to pass me for 2nd and I was able to hang on for 3rd. It was a very good race and a lesson learned.
Tomorrow is Day 2, course conditions are drying up, and I am nervously excited for the race in the morning.
Photo by Alex Edwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment