Tuesday, November 17, 2009

USGP Mercer Cup

Finally some time to update! Hard to believe how much school you miss from being for only 2 days. But the USGP Mercer Cup was an ok weekend.
I met up with my teammates at the airport last Friday morning and before we knew it we were in Trenton, NJ. With a delayed flight, we ended up getting there too late to get in a ride so we were forced to ride inside. After this and dinner, we were all tired from the day of traveling so we all quick to bed.
The next morning I awoke to look outside and see heavy rain. I knew it was going to be a muddy day. All of us arrived at the course and I noticed it had been totally changed from the year before but like the previous year the mud was thick...very thick. I pre-rode the course and it was obvious that bike changes were going to be required every half lap.
The race started and I got a good start but things did not go so great from there. I felt like I was powerless and had nothing in my legs. I rode most of the race alone and finished in a disappointing 14th.
The next day I was very motivated to turn around my performance from the day before. To my liking the course had dried up considerably.
I got a pretty good start off the line and was riding in 3rd after the first half lap. While I was attempting to close in on second I took a bad line in a muddy turn and fell into the course tape. I quickly got up but realized my bike all wrapped up in the course tape. By the time I got it unwrapped and going again I had lost about 45 seconds and around 6 places. The rest of the race I just rode as hard as I could and ended up 5th place.
At the end of the weekend I was kind of disappointed in how I rode, but I have tried to work harder lately because of it.
A big thanks to my teammates/pit crew- Bill Marshall and Tom Price for all of the help throughout the weekend.
Also thanks to former manager of the Navigators Insurance Pro Cycling Team, Ray Cipollini, for coming out and cheering during Sunday's race.

No comments:

Post a Comment